Execution of a punishment imposed in a foreign
state is recognition of the validity and legality of such punishment on an
uncontested basis and execution according to the same procedures as in case the
punishment would have been specified in criminal proceedings taking place in
Execution of a punishment imposed in a foreign state is possible in Latvia if:
- the foreign state has submitted a request regarding the execution of the punishment imposed therein;
- the punishment in the foreign state has been specified by an adjudication that has entered into effect in terminated criminal proceedings;
- the limitation period has not set it for the execution of the punishment in the foreign state or Latvia;
- the person convicted in the foreign state is a Latvian citizen or his or her permanent place of residence is in Latvia, or he or she is serving a punishment related to deprivation of liberty in Latvia and has been convicted with deprivation of liberty or arrest in a foreign state, which could be executed right after serving of the punishment imposed in Latvia;
- the foreign state would not be able to execute the punishment, even by requesting extradition of the person;
- execution of the punishment of Latvia would promote resocialization of the person convicted in the foreign state.
Execution of a fine or confiscation of property
applied in a foreign state shall be possible also if the person convicted in
the foreign state owns a property or has other income in Latvia.