Worldwide globalization and technological progress make it easier to operate business, study, or travel abroad. Naturally these changes affected people and their relationships since we can witness the process where more and more marriages are made between citizens of different countries, including marriages between the third country nationals and the citizens of Lithuania. It should be mentioned that if such couple initially lived abroad it does not mean that they do not have right to reside in Lithuania. For these couples, where one of the spouses has a citizenship of Lithuanian, there is a possibility of immigration in Lithuania and attain a permanent residence permit (for a period of 5 years) in Lithuania.
What are the requirements?
In order to acquire a permanent residence permit in Lithuania, the applicant will have to provide the following documents:
- An application of an established form to issue a permanent residence permit.
- A valid travel document.
- A document confirming that you have enough funds to live in the Republic of Lithuania for at least one year.
- A free-form application of the citizen of the Republic of Lithuania to issue a permanent residence permit for the third country national, as his/her family member, arriving to the Republic of Lithuania to reside with him/her or already residing together.
- Documents certifying that a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania, before arriving to reside in the Republic of Lithuania with the third country national, has been living in a foreign country. (Residence permit issued by a foreign country, appropriate certificate issued by a foreign country or other documents)
- Documents need to be provided which certify the marriage between the third country nationals and the citizen of Lithuania.
- Documents certifying that the third country national is a direct relative in the ascending line of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania and that (s)he is dependent on the citizen of the Republic of Lithuania for at least one year and is unable to use the support of other family members resident in a foreign country.
- Documents which need to certify that you have enough funds to reside in Lithuania or a monthly income of 350 EURO.
- A document proving the person’s health insurance.
Where do the documents need to be submitted?
The documents are to be submitted to the Migration Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania or through a Migration Division of a Territorial Police Office, in whose service area she/he has declared as place of residence.
How much time does it take to process?
The time taken to process is not more than 4 months after the submission of the application. For additional fee the application can be reviewed in 2 month after the submission.
How much does it cost?
You have to pay the State fees for the consideration of the application for issuing the permanent residence permit:
- On a general basis – EUR 43;
- On an urgent basis – EUR 86.
For the processing of the permanent residence permit:
- On a general basis – EUR 28;
- On an urgent basis – EUR 56.